30 Days Disney Challenge: Day 2 - Favorite Princess

Day 2: Your Favorite Princess

Picture taken from here
The badass Fa Mulan.
She is the only Disney Princess who does not hold a formal Princess title. She is not born noble and her later marriage to General Li Shang doesn't change her title whatsoever. I could relate so much to her story and understand that in certain culture, it is hard to be yourself and the honor of family, tradition, heritage, custom comes first. Your family identity is your identity, and you are to protect that no matter what.
Digital art by JowieL
The fact that you are a girl doesn't help much either. I was raised in a culture where girls are supposed to learn how to cook and take care of the house, behave gently and move gracefully (which is totally impossible for me. I'm Tigger, remember?), seriously prohibited from climbing anything, and also apparently, less valuable than men. Although thankfully my parents don't imply all and every rules above, I am still expected at certain times to follow through tradition however absurd they may seem.

I think I love Mulan the most for her courage. Also for her willingness to sacrifice, her quick thinking and quirkiness. If you look closely and watch Mulan II you can also see that as badass as she is, she is also still a soft and gentle flower her father had always spoken of. But once she made a decision, she follow through like a rock.

Mulan's Decision by Alicexz
For most people this scene depicted how Mulan decided to go in her father's place. If you came from the same place as Mulan, you'll realize that cutting your long black shiny hair symbolize something deeper. You gave everything away, you sacrifice yourself, your honor and break the tradition. 

Imagine if you lived in a culture where honor and tradition is everything.


No comments :

Post a Comment